[fpc-devel] Questions regarding pushing more onto assembler

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be
Thu Sep 15 09:57:04 CEST 2005

On 15 sep 2005, at 09:13, paul at codecompiler.com wrote:

> Now, the idea is the IF, ELSE and ENDIF macros will handle the
> creation
> of the particular code for testing and such.
>
> There are a number of (already written) macros available to do
> this, and
> I think it will reduce the complexity of the compiler (at a slight
> increase in complexity of the generated code via macros) .  I am
> wondering if there are any thoughts on this idea.

An obvious downside would be that the internal object writer would
still need the functionality to translate these macro's into
assembler/machine code. Additionally, the complexity of those
constructs isn't that big and is written in an entirely processor
independent way (ncgflw.pas), so you do not have to worry about that
when porting the compiler.

Jonas