[fpc-devel] PR advancement

Michalis Kamburelis michalis at camelot.homedns.org
Thu Nov 24 00:36:57 CET 2005

Ales Katona wrote:
> Michalis Kamburelis wrote:
>
>> Ales Katona wrote:

[...]
>>> 2. Can I use Free Pascal/Lazarus for commercial development?
>>

>> This is the 4th question of current FAQ. And I assume that you
>> actually wanted to say "closed source", this is not the same thing as
>> "commercial".
>

> If you look at forums and mailing lists, NO people DON'T get it. You
> need to explicitly tell them YES YOU CAN STATIC LINK WITH OUR ENHANCED
> LGPL. Honestly the thing in the FAQ is good for lawyers only.

Reading FPC and Lazarus mailing lists, and I don't see such problems.
And I understood the FAQ, even though IANAL. There's a text

   "It is therefore possible to create closed source or proprietary
software using Free Pascal."

I think that this is even more explicit (and understandable to
non-programmers) than your proposed "Yes you can static link with our
enhanced LGPL".

>>> 3. Are there any real world applications made with Free Pascal/Lazarus?
>>

>> I guess that even a "manager" is able to type "fpc" or "lazarus" into
>> google.
>>
> And he'll find a bunch of fanboy websites.

So what answer would you propose for the FAQ question "Are there any
real world applications made with Free Pascal/Lazarus" ? A huge list of
every program that was ever compiled with FPC ? A short list of "chosen
projects" ? Who will decide and maintain the list of "most bright
projects developed using FPC+Lazarus" ?

>>> 4. Why should I use Free Pascal/Lazarus?
>>

> Which is horribly outdated and utterly useless. Also it only specializes
> on comparing FP dialect of Pascal with other languages.
> One half of currently listed advantages is basicly a pissing contest
> against C/C++ and the other is saying "we got OOP/other features too you
> know".

[...]

Then propose a better text / feature list for "Advantages" page...

Michalis