[fpc-devel] Unicode RTL

Micha Nelissen micha at neli.hopto.org
Wed Nov 16 17:56:05 CET 2005

On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 13:38:43 +0100 (CET)
Daniƫl Mantione <daniel.mantione at freepascal.org> wrote:

> Op Wed, 16 Nov 2005, schreef Micha Nelissen:
>
> > Why not use ansistrings with UTF-8 ?
>
> Because then you will have to modify routines like pos, insert, delete.
> Since that is not possible, you would get a pos_utf8, insert_utf8, etc.

Delphi named these AnsiPos, Ansi..., no?

LOL! First you say we can't use utf-8 strings because we need to introduce
pos_utf8 etc., but then you propose to introduce a crippled string type
which is not standards compliant, cannot represent all asian charsets and
cannot be implemented well on anything non-win32 *and* you propose to
introduce procedures for this new string type after all :-D.

Where's the logic in that?

I think it's better to keep with the ansistring which either has specific
charset ISO-8859-X (so the programmer uses regular Pos), or has UTF-8 and
programmer uses AnsiPos etc. TStringList can then simply keep using
ansistrings.

Micha