[fpc-devel] Unicode RTL

Daniël Mantione daniel.mantione at freepascal.org
Wed Nov 16 13:45:30 CET 2005

Op Wed, 16 Nov 2005, schreef Vincent Snijders:

> Daniël Mantione wrote:
> >

> > What should be done on Linux/FreeBSD/MacOS is still unknown to me, it is
> > a wild west, but likely something similar, internally a widestring rtl is
> > used that converts to the right encoding when communicating externally.
>
> Does that mean string operations will be twice a slow?

I don't think so. A string copy operation for a wide string needs to move
twice as much data as a string copy operation for an ansistring. However,
when walking through it, (take the widestring version of pos for example)
the amount of work per character does not change.

The big trouble is the conversion stuff when you need communication with
the outside world.

Daniël