[fpc-devel] First benchmark of Abbrevia 4.0

DrDiettrich drdiettrich at compuserve.de
Wed Mar 30 00:28:07 CEST 2005

Michael Van Canneyt wrote:

> On Sun, 27 Mar 2005, DrDiettrich wrote:
>
> > A friend of mine just has tested my archiver, with the following results
> > for an TAR with a million of files:
> >
> > PowerArchiver: 530 minutes.
> > My Unarch: 160 minutes.
>
> Huh ?
> Who creates archives with million of files ?
> Who creates a million of files in the first place ?!

It's a CD archive, with descriptions of all known music CDs
(FreeDB/expd).

> > I hope to get the original .tgz archive soon, in order to test it with
> > GNU gzip and tar as well. The time may decrease again when the log is
> > redirected into an file...
>
> It should, definitely if the test was run on Windows;

You guessed it ;-)

> If you need testers, I'm always prepared to help.

Later, when I've ported the zip support. There are a lot of things to
explore, like the actual contents of time stamps and other OS specific
fields in the file descriptors. The current version is written for
Delphi and Windows, a port to FPC and other OS or machines will require
some adaptations; this is where somebody could jump in...

Hmm, the ~4 core units (90 KB) should be sufficiently stable for an FPC
and Linux port, if somebody is interested in such stuff. The
documentation (9 KB HTML) is not up to date, my code is intended to be
self-explanatory ;-)

Another thing is the grid control for a GUI (~50 KB), based on
TCustomGrid...

DoDi