[fpc-devel] Changing transaction properties specific to IB when using IBConnection

Michalis Kamburelis michalis at camelot.homedns.org
Fri Mar 18 04:59:52 CET 2005

Hi

I played with Sqldb and IBConnection units, and now I see the real
benefit of them: there's only one dataset and one transaction class for
all Firebird, PostgreSQL and MySQL bindings. Each specific database
"binding" must only introduce new TSQLConnection descendant. It's great
since it gives me even easier switching between various databases. This
reminds me the zeos project.

However, there's a problem. In real programs I want to be able to set
some FB-specific transaction parameters. By doing this I'm agreeing to
sacrifice some portability of my programs across various databases, but
I think it's useful, at least with FB, since there are many sensible
transaction isolation modes and I want to be able to choose what I want.

When I was playing with Interbase unit yesterday, this was simple, much
like with Delphi's IBX: just set appropriate properties of
TIBTransaction class, like IsolationLevel.

How to get equivalent functionality with Sqldb and IBConnection ?

I implemented some small patches that enable this. The essential thing
is new public function TSQLTransaction.SQLHandle that gives an access to
TIBTrans class specific to FB database. Note that this forced me to
write some additional code to react when user changes value of
TSQLConnection.Database property. User of this code must be prepared
that changing TSQLConnection.Database resets properties of SQLHandle.

(
Some notes about the problem with resetting properties of SQLHandle:

This problem is (at least partially) inevitable, since when value of
Database property changes, it may change to a different descendant of
TSQLConnection so the set of available properties may change anyway. So
I think that the current method (that will implicitly reset all
properties of SQLHandle, because internally FTrans will be destroyed and
then (at the next call to SQLHandle) created again) is OK.
)

Now I can change properties of FB transaction doing e.g.
   (SQLTransaction.SQLHandle as TIBTrans).IsolationLevel := ilReadCommitted;

Attached patch also fixes a small bug, by changing in
TSQLQuery.InternalOpen FieldByName to FindField. See inside the patch
for comments what it solves.

One more thing: note that default IsolationLevel of
IBConnection.TIBTrans is ilConcurrent, while default IsolationLevel of
Interbase.TIBTransaction is ilReadCommitted. It's not my fault :),
that's the way they were done. And none of my patches tries to change
it, since it would be an incompatible change. However, I would advice
changing default IsolationLevel of Interbase.TIBTransaction to
ilConcurrent. This way not only IBConnection and Interbase units would
use the same IsolationLevel by default, but also this would make
Interbase.TIBTransaction a little more compatible to Delphi's IBX and to
standard FB behaviour (empty TPB passed to isc_start_transaction is
equivalent to isc_tpb_concurrency).

Michalis.