[fpc-devel] Bug: fpc-svn-392 compile error

Tomas Hajny XHajT03 at mbox.vol.cz
Tue Jun 14 19:18:18 CEST 2005

Peter Vreman said:

>>> At least daily snapshot builds exist for other platforms too (both for
>>> trunk and fixes branch). Some of the previously existing snapshot build
>>> routines haven't been fixed since our 2.0 release and migration to
>>> SVN, so
>>> they don't work at the moment (basically meaning that somebody must
>>> have a
>>> short look at the script and change some directory names etc.). That
>>> seems
>>> to be the case for Netware and NetwLibC targets and possibly ppc-linux.
>>> arm-linux snapshot generation has only been built occassionally as far
>>> as
>>> I remember. I don't know whether we ever had automated snapshot
>>> building
>>> for x86_64-linux, FreeBSD, Mac OS X, Mac OS and MorphOS running
>>> anywhere.
>>>
>>> Tomas
>>
>> sorry, yes I had old fpc.
>
> Yesterday i already added a check that a 2.0+ compiler is used to compile
> the rtl.
>
>> Could there be a make target bootstrap to compile the new version in
>> the old one?
>> Or does it include too much of black magic?
>
> There is already a bootstrapping process in the makefiles. The target is
> called cycle. The default 'make all' in the top dir calls it also.

However, note that "old" in this context means 2.0.0, not 1.x. And yes,
supporting the older versions required a lot of overhead. If necessary
(i.e. release 2.0 not available for some platform as opposed to 1.x
release - e.g. GO32v2 target at the moment), you should be able to
checkout the release 2.0.0 branch containing the status at release time,
build a 2.0 compiler in that branch and use that for new compilations from
that point on.

Tomas