[fpc-devel] Patch to speed up Uppercase/Lowercase functions

L505 fpc505 at z505.com
Sun Jun 12 10:47:20 CEST 2005

I use fastcode stuff some times, I just never spend too much time figuring out
how all the code works.

The way I do it is I create my software application first in Pascal.. Then if I
find a huge bottleneck, I pull in a optimized function in place of the old one..
even if I dont' understand the optimized functions entirely.

I'm sure lot's of people know and do this, but I want to make a point that
sometimes 90 percent of your common GUI app doesn't need to be optimized.. only
certain concentrated sections of the app need to be optimized, like search and
replace routines, or especially with a compiler who is running through text over
and over again (patronizing the compiler team here).

With lowercase function I'm sure optimizations will help a lot if we are using
it to do bulk translations of 1000's of MiXedCaSe  text files from
crackers/hackers whO wRiTe lIke tHiS. (ping Carl Eric ..j/k)  More
realistically, it could also help in a CGI app say if you were converting
people's web posts to lower case (if hundreds of people posting at the same time
for example).

Lars

Op Sun, 12 Jun 2005, schreef Daniël Mantione:

> I can figure out how it works, but it is interresting and should be fast.

I can't figure out...

Sorry.

Daniël