[fpc-devel] Bug 4004

Gerhard Scholz gs at g--s.de
Wed Jun 8 13:04:38 CEST 2005

There are two philosophies behind that.

out of [ + - * / div and or mod]) ("/" for reals only; "div" and "mod" of
ints only of course). "Widening" is done when the 2 types are not identical
but compatible, e.g. "byte + integer" would be done as "integer(byte) +
integer".

The other philosophy is to wide every operand to a reasonable size (for
example Longint) and do the computation then.

Both philosophies can be found in different compilers. For keeping your code
transportable you should anyhow obey the first philosophy. If neccessary, as
in your code, do the typecast yourself, as I showed you:
   i := INTEGER ( Ord(a) ) - Ord(b)
Then you are on the safe side of life.

Your "constant" line, which compiled "correct":
  i := Ord('0')-Ord('1')
seems to be a little compiler "weakness".

Gerhard