[fpc-devel] Extend the libraries people!

L505 fpc505 at z505.com
Fri Jun 3 20:54:13 CEST 2005

| Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:

There's already a completely working regex unit for freepascal which I needed badly
;-). It was already written by someone else (I believe the lazarus/synedit for
freepascal group), I just took the existing work and turned it into a contributed
unit.

Some of the contributions are just a matter of taking existing work and polishing them
up a bit to turn them into a "contributed unit" for freepascal.

Sometimes I create examples or programs for my own needs, but really they also could
be posted up on the net for other people to use also. So now all the work I do is
geared toward making a zip or gzip file for others.

Some of the contributions will have to be completely original, but really we also have
a lot already: mysql, CGI, regex, etc.
I think if freepascal is to be used in greater quantity right now, people should use
it for internet applications, servers, clients. I mean if lazarus isn't ready for
GUI's as small as Delphi ones, freepascal has to excel at something, right?

Since freepascal started out as being for Dos/linux commandline, it's really already
ready for command line programs as it is.. and has been for a while. The thing about
servers and web programs, is they basically are command line programs.

But as lazarus matures and people have more time to contribute to it, then freepascal
can also excel in GUI's.

Lars