[fpc-devel] type discussion

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Thu Jun 2 18:41:17 CEST 2005

> Marco van de Voort wrote:
> > I think the time spent doing the manual compilation is overestimated, and
> > the time problem solving in automatic allocation is underestimated.
> >
> > How many Java programmers routine set references to NIL ? Really a lot...
>
> This only shows the implementation (and std library design) is bad (and
> that's true at least to java 1.4)

I hear this from nearly any language with automated allocation (C#, Python,
Perl, Java). The concept is simple and attractive, the practice seems to
be different.

At least if you go about it the trial-and-error way. With careful design and
consideration can be brought down. However then also go most of the time
advantages.