[fpc-devel] About Linker

Peter Vreman peter at freepascal.org
Mon Jul 18 09:34:46 CEST 2005

> listmember wrote:
>
>> I know very little about Linker --just vaguely what it
>> does, and that's all. I googled for it, but could not
>> find much either.
>>
>> Could someone give me some pointers to read about the
>> subject.

Ever heard Google? The second result with a search for 'linker' has a lot
of information.

>> The reason why I was interested is, it seems a Linker
>> is more difficult to write than a compiler --after all
>> we do have FPC, but not a linker in Pascal.
>>
>> Is it true that a linker is harder to write?
>
> No.

A linker is much easier than a compiler. The hardest part is the analysing
of bugs, because you need to debug the generated result and debug that at
assembly level.

>> If not,
>> why hasn't anyone done one yet?
>
> Other things were important so far?

There is already a start of a linker, but there was no time to finish it.
We first wanted release a stable compiler.