[fpc-devel] Freepascal on SPARC, MIPS(EL) and ARM GNU/Linux hosts

Sunil Amitkumar Janki devel.sjanki at gmail.com
Sun Jan 2 04:57:02 CET 2005

Florian Klaempfl wrote:
> Jonas Maebe schrieb:
>
>> On 24 Sep 2007, at 10:29, Sunil Amitkumar Janki wrote:
>>

>>> I want to know how to build Freepascal so it runs on SPARC,
>>> MIPS(EL) and ARM GNU/Linux. For the latter two I will probably
>>> first have to cross-build to these architectures if possible but I
>>> don't know how to do this yet.
>>>
>> There is no MIPS support yet. ARM works though, although running the
>> compiler itself on ARM usually doesn't work because of a lack of ram
>> (and ARM systems are also quite slow usually).
>>
> Depends, on my thecus it works fine thought make cycle takes 25 min  :)

Thanks for the link to that document. I will try and get the SPARC
port running using a SPARC cross-compiler running on x86 which
shouldn't be a problem anymore now that I know how to do so.

My MIPS machine is a Fu Long computer with a Loongson processor
and I was just reading the forums. Someone has largely ported
FPC to little-endian MIPS, so I will try to contact him.

The lack of memory on ARM targets is not really a problem at all.
I have QEMU virtual machines for various architectures and I can
assign 256 MB to an ARM one, more than is physically available on
a PDA which I intend to port Linux to.

It runs about 5 times as slow as the host, but that's still fast enough
to get FPC to build and not that much slower than real hardware.
The amount of memory should also be enough, I think.

Sunil