[fpc-devel] VMT compatibility

Alexey Barkovoy clootie at ixbt.com
Sun Jan 30 11:13:17 CET 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael Van Canneyt" <michael at freepascal.org>

>> Delphi is compatible at least with Borland C++ and MS VC++. And taking in
>> accout
>> how COM intefaces are implemented in C++ (I'm supposing here all C++
>> compilers
>> support the same syntax) - each C++ compiler supporting MS way to declare COM
>> interfaces has compatible VMT layout.
>
> That would be true only for interfaces, not for straight VMTs ?
>
> And Delphi's VMT's  are not compatible with GCC's;
> At least, kylix cannot use GCC classes.
> I'm not even sure they are compatible with the ones from MS Visual C++;

Well, interfaces are really C++ abstract classes. COM model adds some bell and
whistles above that (including IUnknown that is integrated in object pascal
language interfaces).

For example "DECLARE_INTERFACE_(IClassFactory, IUnknown)" in C++ is expanded to
"struct FAR IClassFactory : public IUnknown", so really public parts of VMT
(with positive offset) are always [should be] compatible. Surely we can't talk
about FULL compatibility of classes, but exposing "interfaces" to other
languages should be possible.