[fpc-devel] [RFC] fpdoc output comment from the source

L505 fpc505 at z505.com
Sun Dec 4 03:23:14 CET 2005

> Florian Klaempfl schrieb:
> >
> > Why ;)? Indeed, if you want generated docs from comments, better use pasdoc.
>
> the source scanner used by fpDoc supports reading of comments for quite
> some time; but as I already told you (or was it Mattias?), the final
> support in fpDoc is still missing.
> If there is really interest in this feature, I will have a look at it.
> (And no, I didn't inspect the sent patch yet.)
> Any more opinions? Important, not so important?

I think comments will be useful and important for developer versions of the
documentation. Users may not care about the comments in the source code, but it will
be really useful for a "developer version" of the docs. Many times I write comments
in the code describing what the code does, so this comment feature in FPDOC would
help us make developer documentation clearer (users reading the docs, may not care
about comments so much).

Kind of unrelated, but I'll be working on a CGI program that taps on top of the FPDOC
generated HTML files and allows users to make notes and comments via their web
browser underneath the help documents. The way to get users do more work in writing
documentation, is to have a comment system right up live on the website. Even the PHP
manual does this ;-)

Even though I'm not a fan of XML in many situations, I find FPDOC is a really useful
and an awesome tool - this time XML fits the job well since the tags are sparse (lots
of data between the tags).