[fpc-devel] Building for powerpc on FC4 seems to fail

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be
Tue Aug 16 17:54:57 CEST 2005

On 16 aug 2005, at 17:26, Joost van der Sluis wrote:

> Ok, it seems like that they don't compile on ppc at all. They use a
> mainframe with a 'couple of POWER5 (gr), at 1655.992000MHz'
>
> If I understood correctly they don't support Altivec (VMX?) and are
> there some other issues.

FPC doesn't use/generate any altivec/vmx code at this time/

> Is it possible at all to make a power-port? Maybe the power also
> has the
> cache-issue, and is that the main problem?

Power and PowerPC have been sort of merged quite a while ago already
and use the same instruction set now (at least from a non-OS
developer point-of-view). But it's indeed quite probable that the
cache line size on a Power5 is larger than 32 bytes (the G5 was
derived from the Power4).

Jonas