[fpc-devel] MacOSX: EXC_ARITHMETIC in PerformHIConversion

Marc Weustink marc.weustink at cuperus.nl
Mon Aug 15 18:58:06 CEST 2005

Jonas Maebe wrote:

>>> The FPC runtime explicitly turns them on by default (since they  are
>>> required for detecting errors), while libc doesn't. It is
>>> independent of the compiler used.
>>>

>> So, if I understand it correct, you wont get a aritmic exeption in
>> FPC anymore when this is turned on ?
>

> The "invalid fpu operation" exceptions are turned on in the FPC  system
> unit initialisation code. If you add the code I posted, they  are turned
> off again and so you won't get them (not due to buggy code  in the
> Carbon framework and not anywhere else either).

That last part I was already afraid of. This would mean that I have to
add it to the lcl-carbon initialization code and that no lcp app based
on carbon would get the exception. Not the nices solution if you ask me.
I'll try to find a way to wrap only the failing call/event.

>> (and since it is off by default, what are the chances that it get
>> fixed ?)
>

> In the Carbon framework? Reasonable if many people report a bug to
> Apple with a C program that crashes. At least one person has already
> done that. The main problem is that this problem does not occur on  all
> systems. For example, it does not happen on my iBook nor on my G5.

Oh, fun.... :( also not my sample ?)

Marc