[fpc-devel] integer, cardinal

Vinzent Hoefler JeLlyFish.software at gmx.net
Mon Apr 18 08:52:33 CEST 2005

On Sunday 17 April 2005 10:45, Ales Katona wrote:

> First of all Integer should be size independent, that is, xy bits
> depending on the platform.

I second that.

> Second, we should "force people in a friendly way" to use more
> readible names like:
> sint32, uint64, etc. than "cardinal"

No. Such stuff is only needed when you do hardware-interfacing. And
that's the _only_ reason someone would need types with defined
bit-sizes.

> In a few years when 64 bits are normal, what will cardinal become?
> who knows..

That's why Pascal has range types. Define the range you need, and don't
use "just some type" which has the range you think you will need.

Vinzent.