[fpc-devel] bugreport: FPC 1.9.8 installer, i386-FreeBSD

Andres K. Foerster list at AKFoerster.de
Sun Apr 17 18:32:40 CEST 2005

Hello,

I really had trouble installing FPC on FreeBSD.

I downloaded the big tar archive and unpacked it. Then I saw the
file "install.sh" there. Because of the file-extension ".sh" I
thought it was a simple shellscript for sh. So I tried to start it with
"sh install.sh". That didn't work. So I looked into the script and saw,
that it needs a special shell, namely bash. The extension ".sh" is very
misleading!

Well, bash wasn't installed on my system, so I had to install it. You
should say so in the docs. Or better rewrite it to be usable with a
standard-shell. You cannot silently expect, that everyone in the world
is using GNU!

But then again it didn't work. I looked into the script again and
replaced the line "VERSION=%version%" with "VERSION=1.9.8". Then at
last it worked. Just still the IDE seems not to be installed properly,
but I don't use it anyway.

Apropos GNU: You still use the old Cambridge address for the FSF. They
are now in Boston. As I've heard, they plan to move again within Boston
this summer. So look out for their actual address on their homepage:
http://www.fsf.org

And another comment on a new "feature". FPC doesn't let me manipulate
the for-loop-variable anymore. That's annoying! Well Pascal was always
said to be a bondage-and-discipline-language, but please don't force
that any further.

--
AKFoerster