[fpc-devel]Recompile the RTL to trace bugs

Peter Vreman peter at freepascal.org
Mon May 3 20:55:18 CEST 2004

At 20:41 3-5-2004, you wrote:
>Is there a Unit Test for Dynamic Arrays? If not, perhaps the original
>poster could help to contribute one.  I use Dynamic Arrays heavily in
>Delphi and I'm just getting into FPC and Lazarus, and I'm very interesting
>in having a unit test for FPC Dynamic arrays to accomplish the following:
>
>          (1)  Do all possible operations on Dynamic arrays, report total
> heap size before they are created, and after they are freed. (P.S. Is a
> debug-heap an option in FPC somewhere?).  Use dynamic arrays in record,
> class, and local function scope,  check recursion,  param and var param
> usage, etc etc. If FPC has range checking {$R+} like Delphi, perhaps
> tests for this can be created too.
>
>          (2)  Be compilable via FPC and Delphi, and work identically on
> both, {$ifdef} where necessary.
>
>          (3) Generally serve to either to locate any real problem (if one
> really exists), or to ensure that no accidental breakage can slip by
> undetected. If I have some time, I will write such a beastie as an
> exercise. If Yakov you have any code that exhibits the broken behavior,
> or you can contribute anything to this, it would be great.  Later, I want
> to figure out how to implement Packages in FPC, but I figure I may as
> well pick a baby-size idea first. This one sounds like it's easy.

We have a testsuite available. See the fpc/tests/ directory in cvs or
fpc.zip. This testsuite contains a lot of basic tests for the codegenerator
and all reported bugs that are reproducable in non-interactive test programs.

The testsuite is run daily for Linux-i386 and the results can be viewed
online at http://www.freepascal.org/cgi-bin/testsuite.cgi

Peter