[fpc-devel]default parameters

Peter Vreman peter at freepascal.org
Sun Jan 18 13:57:10 CET 2004

At 19:07 16-1-2004, you wrote:
>Hi guys,
>
>this is two years as I test FPC on my project. Every now and then it does
>not work. I submit reports, they are fixed, but later on they are here
>again. I intensively use default parameters, open and dynamic arrays,
>overloaded functions. They all work, but when  used a lot, and especially
>used together (Say dynarray as a result of an overloaded function, or open
>array with a default value) -- compiler cannot handle it.
>
>I might be wrong but I guess it is just because nobody esle is using those
>features so extensively as I do. And these features luck attention of
>developers. Let's take it seriously and once complete them! Waiting for two
>years and to see little of progress is no good!
>
>Here is another report. I believe it was working before! Now again with
>1.9.2 it is here.

Dynamic arrays and default parameters are new features and only available
in 2 public beta's so you can't expect that they are completly bug free as
they don't have enough testing in the field yet. We are dependent on the
public to test these features, the compiler itself does not use it.

Also 1.9.x is still not feature frozen. And this bug was introduced as side
effect by a new feature register calling and only happends when the result
of the function is returned using a hidden parameter. It is impossible for
us to see that kind of issues and have them covered in test cases. They
only way we find them is when ppl use the features and report bugs. The bug
report will then be added to the regression tests.

And btw. the bug was already fixed before you wrote this mail. It is better
to follow the daily snapshots when you use new features.

Peter