[fpc-devel]adding the poll() call

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Mon Nov 17 09:23:10 CET 2003

-- Start of PGP signed section.
> On Sat, 2003-11-15 at 12:33, Michael.VanCanneyt at Wisa.be wrote:
> > poll() is not part of the POSIX interface, so I'm not sure we'll include this.
>
> What do you define as POSIX interface?
> http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/007904975/functions/poll.html (IEEE Std. 1003.1 Issue 6)
> http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/007908799/xsh/poll.h.html (SUSv2)

I usually use a 1989 spec, but add functions of later ones if they are
commonly used or useful.

Michael states a bit wrong when he says baseunix is a posix unit.

I just wanted to make a shift between common, portable and other calls.

So baseunix gets the really standard ones, Unix the ones the avg free unix
has, and the rest moves to OS specific units.

e.g. in the FreeBSD case

		baseunix	more portable

		  unix		    |
		    |		    |
		   bsd		    V

 		freebsd		OS specific

I used the POSIX spec as a first indicator for what should be in baseunix,
but I don't want to follow that 100%.

Baseunix is meant for easy porting of basic apps. (which is why e.g.
nanosleep is there) If I add all POSIX 2003 funcs and extensions, people
with older commercial OSes have to put more work in porting baseunix, then
the old 1.0.x linux unit, which was horribly linux specific.