[fpc-devel]fpc-devel]some m68k releated stuff

Carl Eric Codere carl.codere at optimasc.com
Sat Mar 29 15:28:24 CET 2003

>Hi,
>
>Here are a few things about the m68k version i'd like to discuss.
>
>First, how well the FPU codegenerator is tested in the m68k version?
>I ask, because i've got a pretty big piece of code here, which makes
>heavy use of float math. (A 3D engine namely.) I wrote it using the
>i386 compiler, a few years ago. So now i tried to port it to m68k.
>After working around a few internalerror(10)'s :) i successfully compiled
>the code, and it worked. But then i tried to switch off the FPU emulation
>to generate direct FPU code, since that should be really faster on my
>'060 baby. But i didn't got anything but nasty crashes, and some invalid
>instruction exceptions... So, are there any known defects of the FPU code
>generator, or should i try to give a small example program which shows

>the error?

Greetings,
          Apart from testing the basic instructions FADD/FMOVE, etc
on the Amiga version i did not test much, i know that Pierre added
instructions which might not be supported by the 68060 hardware,
maybe there lies the problem? But you say that Amiga emulates all these

correctly?

Can you please send me the code which gives problems... We'll try to fix
it asap!

>Second, is there a chance to get '020 style addressing supported in
>inline assembly? So to use (1234,a0) instead of 1234(a0). Well, it's
>not that important, but can come handy in some cases...

Heu, maybe in 1.1? (If i ever do 680x0 on 1.1...)

>Third, is it possible to have parameter-passing in registers, in the
>procedure definition in a foreseeable future? Needless to say, it can
>come handy when someone writing header units for AmigaOS libs... :)

This will be supported in 1.1 in a generic way i think so if 680x0
is supported, it should not be that difficult to implement...

Since you are the main person worknig on the Amiga currently,
did you have serious problems with the compiler and the
generated code? Please report any serious problem, and we'll
try to fix it!

>And for last, are there any jobs open for volunteers in the
>m68k/amigaos port? I'd really like to make myself useful

Nils Sjoholm has helped a lot since he has ported all Amiga
includes to pascal! Yes, I really need help in debugging the bugger...
I think maybe the Amiga RTL is shaky, but i'm not sure, as i
only test minimally, and only on WinUAE, my Amiga 3000 being
somewhere in a box in another country! (Which i cannot reach before
the end of this year!)..

Carl Eric Codere