[fpc-devel]IOI2002: FPC 1.0.6 <--> RHIDE broken

Pierre Muller pierre at freepascal.org
Fri May 17 10:09:53 CEST 2002

At 02:22 17/05/2002 , Tom Verhoeff a écrit:
>I am currently in Korea at the Review Meeting in preparation
>for IOI2002, which will take place in August this year.  Also see
>
>         http://olympiads.win.tue.nl/ioi/
>
>Almost 80 countries are expected to participate in this
>big competition, bringing the total number of competitors
>to some 300.  FreePascal is going to be used as one of the compilers.
>
>It has now come to my attention that the newly
>released FPC 1.0.6 no longer works with RHIDE (neither 1.4.9,
>nor 1.5 snapshot).  This is a BIG concern, because the fpIDE
>is not stable enough.

   Could you please tell us exactly which version of RHIDE you are using
so that we can test the same version.

>I offer 100 euro for quickly repairing this.  It is most
>likely something in FreePascal, because FPC 1.0.4 does work
>with RHIDE.  Maybe it is a linking issue.  (Note: We may
>still have to negotiate what it means that this is repaired,
>please take this up with me.)

That's great, I hope that we will sove this for you rapidly!

>For your information, the platforms to be used at IOI2002 are
>
>   *  Debian Linux (Woody 3.0)
>   *  Windows XP

XP is a NT kernel based OS, so this is quite bad
if you use an old RHIDE like 1.4.7...
You need to use a very recent version
like that of rhid1491b.zip
from Pavenis page
http://home.lanet.lv/~pavenis/rhide.html
which is built on a modified DJGPP 2.03
library that fixes most annoying win2000 bugs for DJGPP.
But even that version seems to crash sporadically :(
So, I fear that using the go32v2 compiler inside the DJGPP RHIDE
IDE under XP will be difficult to get stable,
but this is not a Free Pascal Specific problem
(unless you don't get the same problems if you use it for C code).

   There are some of the problems that can probably be solved
by setting some environment variables on the command line instead of using the
default ones integrated in RHIDE binary.
(For instance -Up option is not supported any more by 1.0.6 compiler but
changing the environment variable
RHIDE_FPC_FLAGS from the default value
$(C_FPC_LANG_FLAGS) $(LOCAL_OPT) $(addprefix -Up,$(INCLUDE_DIRS))  $(C_EXTRA_FLAGS)
$(C_FPC_LANG_FLAGS) $(LOCAL_OPT) $(addprefix -Fu,$(INCLUDE_DIRS))  $(C_EXTRA_FLAGS)
should fix this...

>FPC 1.0.6 works on neither platform with RHIDE.

  As Michael said, we need more details...