[fpc-devel]Bad heap manager?

Peter Vreman peter at freepascal.org
Thu Feb 28 13:45:51 CET 2002

> }Concatenating is already done when a block is freed
>
> Wow, didn't know it! I just like remember that it was mentioned about half
> a year ago in one of the lists that the heap manager _never_ merges
> blocks - when someone had problems with growing ansistrings. Seems like
> thing have changed. (c: Nevermind then.

The 1.0.x compiler allocated expection handling blocks in the heap that could reduce the
amount of growing of ansistrings. The 1.1 development compiler should be more efficient in
those cases.

But merging is always dependent on other blocks that allocated in your program, those
blocks can be allocated also implicitly by calling some rtl or other routines