[fpc-devel][fpc-deve] fpc sparc port.

Sergey Korshunoff seyko2 at yandex.ru
Sun Dec 1 02:19:56 CET 2002

- PS: as I think, today there is no DLL support for FPC under LINUX
- (link FPC produced *.so with FPC main module). Why?

> Because this requires PIC support. And PIC support requires an extra
> register to hold the pointer to the GOT table. And the current register
> allocator will die with a lot of internalerror(10)'s if it loses a
> register to work with. So first we need a new register allocator and
> then it should be fairly easy to implement.
> Jonas

In Linux DLL (*.so) can be made without PIC. In most cases this is
even more preferable -- this DLL use less RAM. PIC may be needed
only for glibc.so -- a wide used by _different_ programs DLL, in which case
PIC give us a RAM saving. Reason: DLL in PIC format is bigger.
If it not wide used (plugin for the only _one_  program ) -- we lost RAM and
time
if we use PIC format.

Conclusion: there is a big need in DLL support even without PIC.
Why not implement generation of DLL and use of it with
FPC made main program under Linux without PIC?

Regarsds,
    Sergey Korshunoff

PS: I have a patches for FPC 1.1 (june 2002 snapsnots), but after
this time changes for 1.1-line  start go to fast to support this patches
separately