[fpc-devel]Native NT executables?

Sat Oct 13 12:42:47 CEST 2001

On Fri, 12 Oct 2001, KJK::Hyperion wrote:

> Hi all, I have a question for you: what would I need to do in order to
> create a Win32-NT cross compiler? i.e. how do you port the compiler to a
> new platform? I'd like to create Windows NT device drivers, subsystems,
> etc. in FPC (currently the only build environment for this kind of programs
> is that included in the Windows NT DDK, but it's for Microsoft C++ only,
> and I simply can't afford it). I know I'm crazy :), but I thank you in
> advance for all the help you'll be able to give me

I'm not sure what you are referring to. The Win32 compiler compiles
native windows binaries. Device drivers are of course a whole different
matter.

I think that you would need 2 things:
- Cross linker (I assume device drivers need a special link script)
  But this is not something FPC handles; as we use GNU binutils for that.
- A special system unit, which would override some of the system routines.
  How to do this is being documented (docs/internal/arch.tex).

After that is all done, a special target can be created in the compiler.

Michael.