[fpc-devel]Re: Latest status

Anton Tichawa anton.tichawa at chello.at
Thu Nov 29 22:30:59 CET 2001

Hi,

Let me contribute a totally different version of the HCF thing .. I
programmed 8-bit microprocessors in the early 1980s, and I remember of
one -undocumented- instruction, that caused the processor (I think, 6502,
6800 or somthing like that) to increment it's address lines forever. I don't
remember if it really was CF, but if someone is interested in this I can
look for it.

We actually used this instruction, because a processor simply incrementing
it's address lines is very helpful in finding hardware errors, because
nearly every pin in the whole system then shows a certain 'signature' (that
is, low - high - transitions over all 65536 addresses). After executing this
HCF instruction, we could compare the signal on each pin with a printout of
an error-free hardware.

I don't know about a fire, but I agree that the power consumption may rise
in this mode.

I don't know either, if this instruction was really a flaw or if it was
intentionally designed for hardware testing.

Hope I could add some confusion to this myth.

Anton.