[fpc-devel]inlines

Michael Van Canneyt michael.vancanneyt at wisa.be
Fri May 18 09:58:19 CEST 2001

On Fri, 18 May 2001, Aleksey V. Vaneev wrote:

> Hello,
>
>   Yes, I remember that inlines are getting to be implemented in the
>   future. Just wanted to ask if it is possible to hardcode
>   try-block-handling routines into the source not using the call
>   statement.

We are working on rewriting the exception handling in the 1.1 compiler,
and we are trying to optimize them. Some calls are inevitable, though.

> This could be also done for ansistring handling because
>   it is so weird to see push&call&ret to some simple comparison or
>   something like that.

This is not possible, because ansistrings are reference counted and need
a lot of extra handling. Delphi also uses helper routines for ansistring
handling. For good reason.

>   I also wanted to ask about statically declared variables (I've asked
>   this earlier but didn't see any answer maybe because my subscription
>   was temporarily disabled). Are static variables zeroed before
>   program's start? If not, is it possible to implement this?

Normally, all global variables are zeroed out.

Michael.