[fpc-devel]except.inc

Michael Van Canneyt michael.vancanneyt at wisa.be
Fri May 18 09:54:35 CEST 2001

On Fri, 18 May 2001, Aleksey V. Vaneev wrote:

> Hello,
>
>   I've already contacted Michael Van Canneyt regarding my simple
>   enhancement to except.inc. He said he will mail core members
>   about this.

I have.
Didn't you get my (private) mail about this already ? I know your
address has been bouncing a couple of times, but I resent the message.

>   I just wanted to ask if somebody willing to implement this thing
>   into except.inc. To me it is so simple it will take only 15-20
>   minutes to get it working. And the advantage is huge.
>
>   (BTW, I still cannot understand why my code I've sent to Michael
>   cannot be directly included).

Because:

1) The thing will definitely NOT make it into 1.0.x, since that is a
   bugfix-only branch. We have a strict policy towards that.

2) As it is not thread-safe, and in 1.1.x the exception stack objects
   are allocated on the stack anyhow, the idea looses it's main purpose.
   (as far as we understand it, at least)
   The main reason we moved the exception objects to the stack is
   thread-safety.

You are of course free to implement it as an alternate heap manager,
the heap manager is implemented in such a way that this can be done
easily. But it will not be included in the distribution by default.

Michael.