[fpc-devel]Purpose of this list

XHajT03 at mbox.vol.cz XHajT03 at mbox.vol.cz
Thu Sep 28 21:53:14 CEST 2000

Date sent:      	Thu, 28 Sep 2000 15:57:26 +0200
From:           	Florian Klaempfl <florian at klaempfl.de>
To:             	fpc-devel at deadlock.et.tudelft.nl
Subject:        	Re: [fpc-devel]Purpose of this list
Send reply to:  	fpc-devel at deadlock.et.tudelft.nl

> > > I vote for establishing an FPC-Bugs mailing list.
> >
> > For sure I agree with him.
>
> Is there any reason against using this list as bugs mailing list?
> Development means also fixing bugs. Forwarding the bug reports from
> the web form to this list would maybe increase the traffic by 4-5
> mails a day.

 I'm sending a copy of this to fpc-other list - we should probably
move this discussion there.
 I could find a reason for a separate list as well myself. Some
people might only be interested in knowing about possible bugs,
answers to their own bug reports, workarounds, date of the snapshot,
which solves the problem, etc., and not in highly specialized
discussions about compiler development (it's a waste of bandwith for
most users, I guess). I wouldn't try to introduce people to FPC
development by moving the core discussions to the list, where bug
reports should be directed. This will only cause people unsubscribing
from the list sooner or later, instead of keeping them in touch with
the development, IMHO. Most probably they'll start to send reports to
fpc-pascal instead - the question is, whether we want this.

Tomas