[fpc-devel]Support for 16-bit assembler ?

Jonas Maebe jonas at zeus.rug.ac.be
Wed Dec 6 18:21:13 CET 2000

>>>I use absolute addresses mostly for fast writing characters to video
>>>memory. How do I do that in FP ?  Is there a unit that I could use ?
>>
>>Which OS do you use? Under go32v2 you can use the mem[...] array as with
>>TP/BP.
>
>DOS/Win98.  I have various assembly fastwrite routines that I can't use
>under FP. Michael mentioned video unit. Is there any kind of documentation
>for it ?  An example program maybe ?

The video unit still doesn't allow you direct access to the screen, it
only has a virtual buffer (a simple array) to which you can write and
afterwards you can tell the video unit to blit its contents to screen
(with a choice whether only the changed parts should be updated or the
whole screen).

Direct (text video) memory access is simply not possible under Win32.

Jonas