[Pas2js] Pas2JS IDE for Chrome

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Sun Mar 24 10:29:24 CET 2019

On Sat, 23 Mar 2019, warleyalex via Pas2js wrote:

> This XIDE project for Pas2JS is really nice!
>
> Just I've tested: I've loaded the "XIDEForChrome.html" page then copy the
> saved user app file then loaded into XIDE using the "System/Load" the
> "ExampleSavedSystemFile.txt" content. then I hit "Run mode" on the main menu
> this will recompile the user code for the loaded system, which activates and
> hides the IDE.
>
> i. I'd like to get the minimum/lower file jS footprint when compiling the
> standalone demo project, but I've got 5MB! this but this big output JS file
> is not the standalone demo project, gracias a Dios.
>
> I think you are in the correct path to create modern UI using this XIDE
> approach.
>
> One thing that comes to mind is, basically, there are 2 ways to create a
> modern UI in Lazarus.
>
> 1. components /UI/Frameworks based on "custom paint"
> 2. implement basic CSS drawing and positioning around LCL
>
> ...a long time ago I tried the second option. And it's quite easy to
> implement basic drawing using CSS. But there are too many challenges for me.
> And I think this concept to design UI is wrong.

I partially agree with your statement. But RAD has many advantages, and I
would like to keep most of the aspects. The way most webapps are built today is
distinctly primitive.

Trying to keep up with CSS and HTML in Lazarus is IMO a dead end.

So, on my todo list, there is the following idea:

Use embedded chrome to do the UI design, but still have all the pascal code (event
handlers etc) in the lazarus IDE.