[Pas2js] Proud to announce..

Michael Schnell MSchnell at lumino.de
Wed Dec 5 12:27:14 CET 2018

I don't intend to lessen the importance of this great success in any way, but we also should note that Remobjects' "Elements 10" "Island" does compile Object Pascal to Webassembly code (-> https://www.elementscompiler.com/elements/whatsnew.aspx ).

Other target platforms they support are "Island": Native code for Windows, Linux, Android (don't know which CPU archs); "Toffe": native code for Mac (don't know which CPU archs), IOS, TvOS; "Cooper": Java byte code and Android/Delvik; and "Echoes": .NET, WinRT. Of course they not only provide the compilers, but also visual GUI libraries and building tools.

Who says Pascal is dead ?!?!?!?

Anyway, to me, a final goal would be to be able to do a project (including a GUI and database connection) and test it e.g. on Windows and then mark some of the project's units as "remote", and finally compile it to a set of files that can be installed on a Web server (e.g. Apache). Now when a browser connects to the server the "remote" units - including GUI specifications - are available in downloadable files (as Java-Script or (better) WebAssembly), while the other units run in native code on the server. The appropriate libraries automatically under the hood to the communication between the "local" and "remote" unit by means of RPC via WebSockets.

I did discuss this already with RemObjects, but they don't seem to have short-term plans for this.

-Michael