[Pas2js] Proud to announce..

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Tue Dec 4 22:59:42 CET 2018

Hello !

If anyone still doubted that Object Pascal is the best programming language,
running on the most platforms:

It is with considerable pride that I can announce a new major milestone has been
reached in Free Pascal's pas2js story:

The pas2js compiler runs now embedded in the browser itself.

A picture says more than a thousand words, see attachment.

See it in action for yourself:

https://idefix.freepascal.org/~michael/webcompiler/webcompiler.html

How does it work ?
1. Enter the source of your program.
2. Load the necessary units on the 'load units' tab.
   (The "Load default units" button is a good start)
3. Hit "Compile" !
4. Observe the output of the compiler in the tab "Compiler output"
5. If all went well, the 'Run' button is now active...
6. Press the 'Run' button !

The program will be loaded & run in an IFrame at the bottom of the page.

Obviously, this is only a demo, and there is ample room for improvement
(specifying additional options, viewing generated source code, improving gui)
and you don't have all units available: only the ones in 'rtl' have been
made available. (it's just a matter of uploading them)

But it works. No server interaction other than loading the extra needed
unit sources is necessary: all is done in the browser.

All code is committed in SVN, demo/webcompiler.

Last but not least:
Once more I want to thank Mattias Gaertner for his incredible work on the
compiler, without whose solid foundations I would not have been able to do this !

Enjoy, and stay tuned for more wonderful features & cutting edge technology
from the people that bring you Free Pascal & Lazarus !