[fpc-pascal] blocked on fpc-devel

Jonas Maebe jonas at freepascal.org
Sun Feb 17 16:24:35 CET 2019

On 17/02/19 15:27, Ryan Joseph wrote:
> I’ve noticed the last few days that my messages aren’t getting through to the fpc-devel list. Can one of the admins check to see if I was blocked or something? Sorry to post here but I didn’t know where else to ask. Thanks.

 From what I can tell, the smtp servers you use do not handle
greylisting correctly (http://projects.puremagic.com/greylisting/ ).

When a mail is greylisted, it gets temporarily rejected. At the same
time, the receiving mailserver (lists.freepascal.org in this case)
records the from and to address of the mail and sending server's
ip-address in a whitelist database (along with a delay counter). The
idea is that the sending mail server tries again after the delay is
over, and the receiving mailserver sees in its whitelist database that
an entry exists for this combination of from/to/ip-address. It then lets
the mail through.

This works fairly well because many spam programs are not real mail
servers and hence just give up if the first delivery attempt fails. For
some reason, the sending mailservers you use does the same (they're all
from eigbox.net). This means they're probably badly configured.

The reason you can (usually) successfully can send mails to fpc-pascal,
is that there are several existing entries for eigbox.net smtp servers
and your email address in combination with the fpc-pascal mailing list
in the whitelist database. If you keep trying to send mails to
fpc-devel, one of them will eventually get through as well. The longer
it has been since you last sent a mail to an FPC mailing list, the less
chance there is your mail will get through because the bigger the chance
that the from/to/ip-address combination has been removed again from the
whitelist.

Jonas