[fpc-pascal] Generating RTL Units for STM32 Processors

R0b0t1 r030t1 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 1 22:11:28 CET 2018

On Thu, Mar 1, 2018 at 2:46 PM, Marc Santhoff <M.Santhoff at web.de> wrote:
> On Wed, 2018-02-28 at 06:41 +0200, Christo Crause wrote:
>> On 28 Feb 2018 4:22 am, "R0b0t1" <r030t1 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I will be following up with you off list, since you do not seem to mind.
>>

>> I'm also interested in the general topic of incorporating embedded
>> controllers (avr at the moment)  into fpc.
>
> Me too, especially STM32F407 & 446.

Well - as mentioned, it may be best to pick "standard" parts (did you
have a preference?). This is an issue even with C or C++; many parts,
especially from STM32, are very poorly documented. In C I am still
having issues with my controller than I can only fix by copying,
verbatim, the autogenerated code. At this point I suspect order of
hardware initialization matters where no order dependency is
documented.

This is kind of sad, because most of the popular STM32 parts are
rather old. For other manufacturers the situation can be even worse.
It is also sad because I want to try various products to see which is
best (e.g. PIC32 parts are very cheap but still performant), but my
experience as far as C goes is that all development environments and
vendor provided libraries are terrible.

Also, thank you Michael, I may be able to give an update with my
progress soon. It seems wise to iron out the initialization and
hardware setup in C first.

Without much cheer,
     R0b0t1