[fpc-pascal] Proper preprocessor?

Sven Barth pascaldragon at googlemail.com
Thu Jun 21 17:08:25 CEST 2018

Ryan Joseph <ryan at thealchemistguild.com> schrieb am Do., 21. Juni 2018,
15:53:

> I’m actually making rapid progress on a macro function syntax where the
> parameters are replaced by the inputs when called:
>
> {$define put(x):='into_x’}
>
> put(100); // replaces to ‘into_100’
>
> Do I have permission to develop this feature (even if it’s hidden behind a
> modeswitch) and if so should I privately contact someone on the compiler
> team to verify that I’m doing compiler approved things? I have lots of
> stupid questions like is “array of ansistring” ok and can I use strutils
> functions etc.. and I don’t want to pollute the list with them.

Of course you have permission to work on this, after all this is Open
Source software. However whether we'd want to integrate this is a totally
different topic.
I personally am against it, cause I see no real world use in it and the
usual point of making the code less readable applies as well.

To answer your further questions: AnsiString should not be used and units
that can be used are only those in the rtl directory. Everything inside
packages is not available. You could however check the cutils unit for
equivalent functionality.

For more questions you can start a thread in fpc-devel. That's the purpose
of that mailing list after all.

Regards,
Sven