[fpc-pascal] Proper preprocessor?

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Wed Jun 20 15:09:25 CEST 2018

On Wed, 20 Jun 2018, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:

> The other alternative would be break the compiler in such a way that it
> was usable from a standard makefile, but since there isn't separate
> compilation of definition and implementation parts this would probably
> impact on type safety. I believe that this too has been debated in the
> past, and has attracted even less enthusiasm than a hook for an extrnal
> preprocessor preprocessor.

Nothing stops people from preprocessing their code if they need really
advanced preprocessing: The toolchain can handle it already.

But there is no need to integrate it in the compiler and thus needlessly
complicating it even more. The consequences of such a step are far-reaching.

And till now, no-one has presented the really pressing use cases that would
warrant such a step.

Michael.