[fpc-pascal] Syntax changes suggestions

Ben Grasset operator97 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 21 22:43:53 CEST 2018

On Fri, Jul 20, 2018 at 1:20 AM, Sven Barth via fpc-pascal <
fpc-pascal at lists.freepascal.org> wrote:

> Because a feature might change the language in a way that's not in the
> spirit of the language. Look at how Delphi implemented attributes: they're
> declared in front of the types, fields, parameters, whatever, simply copied
> from how C# implemented them while in the spirit of Pascal they should have
> been *after* the declarations.
>
> Regards,
> Sven

C# itself is heavily inspired by Delphi though, as it's another Anders
Hejlsberg project. I fail to see what the "spirit of the language" has to
do with anything as far as attributes, either.

Shouldn't the attribute tags just be put wherever it's easiest for the
compiler to deal with them?

I think the vast majority of people care far more about how *useful
Pascal actually
is in real life* than they do
about whether or not it fulfills some not-well-defined notion of "spirit".

Also, as far as I can tell, most of the people who use FPC would consider
the Delphi way to be the correct or normal way of doing things in the first
place.