[fpc-pascal] Syntax changes suggestions

Sven Barth pascaldragon at googlemail.com
Tue Jul 17 22:41:33 CEST 2018

Am 17.07.2018 um 22:32 schrieb Ryan Joseph:

>> On Jul 17, 2018, at 2:15 PM, Sven Barth via fpc-pascal <fpc-pascal at lists.freepascal.org> wrote:
>>
>> Those specific features you mention were added because of Delphi compatibility not because someone thought they are good. Florian even likened records with methods to a can of worms before they were implemented.
> Maybe FPC needs a fork or something that keeps the original specification, or going the other way an experimental branch? Florian amongst others must be really annoyed with how this is all going and I sympathize with them.
>
> FPC appears to have group of users who are purists (or something like that), Delphi users, and utilitarians (if that’s accurate a description) that want the language to evolve to meet current trends/demands of the industry, e.g. if there’s a good idea floating around out there I want to use it also.
>
> Going forward how is this going to be resolved?
There is a more important difference: the developers and the users. Only
because the latters think an idea is good or probable the former do not
necessarily need to agree. And don't forget that we, the developers work
on this in our free time and thus don't have any interest on spending
time on features that we don't believe in.

Regards,
Sven