[fpc-pascal] Syntax changes suggestions

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Tue Jul 17 16:49:49 CEST 2018

In our previous episode, Mark Morgan Lloyd said:
> However, I do wish that people wouldn't resort to that same old
> chestnut. There ought to be a Pascal discussion equivalent of Godwin's
> Law: "sooner or later in any debate about a language feature somebody
> will complain that it's too much like C".

That sounds very negative, but one must not forget that this only is a
response to a halfassed copy syntax-from-language-x request. And everything
is always demonstrated with 4 line examples, no analysis how it fits in the
parsing structure nothing.

To be honest, I'm wondering why Sven actually bothers to answer this
nonsense.

> Frankly, who cares? are we really all so insecure that we can't
> accommodate even the suggestion that "our opponents" occasionally have a
> good idea?

"Good idea" is terribly subjective as already made clear in this discussion,
opinions vary wildly.

Are we so insecure that we must copy every alien bit of syntax? No.

Worse, IMHO creeping unnecessary dialect change is worse than remaining
different. The spread of codebases over the various subdialects is worse than any
benefits these half assed extensions can ever have. It is spreading language
development thin instead of deep

P.s. people that disagree should start arguing for an unit/module concept
on C groups, and use the exact same reasoning. Please post the URL, and I'll
follow the thread with a bucket of popcorn.