[fpc-pascal] Syntax changes suggestions

Reimar Grabowski reimgrab at web.de
Tue Jul 17 15:52:35 CEST 2018

On Tue, 17 Jul 2018 12:04:19 +0200
Martin <fpc at mfriebe.de> wrote:

> But more troubling:
> You do no longer have a complete list of all local vars. That means, if
> I want to add a (current style) local var "i", i may have to scan the
> entire procedure (maybe hundreds of lines) to find if there already is a
> nested "i"
Wouldn't you need to refactor this procedure anyway into 20 line chunks and nuke the guy that wrote it? ;)

Btw I don't support the proposed changes as I don't see the need to get all and every language on feature parity.
Languages do have different design philosophies which manifest in different feature sets. So there is always more to a feature than pure functionality.
I write nowadays mostly in languages which do have "block scope" and I really don't prefer one "scoping" over the other. Both make sense in the context of their respective language.
And Delphi for example introduced features in a vain attempt to stay relevant which where not in the spirit of pascal. Freepascal has no need to do this.

R.