[fpc-pascal] Syntax changes suggestions

Henry Vermaak henry.vermaak at gmail.com
Tue Jul 17 12:27:15 CEST 2018

On Tue, Jul 17, 2018 at 12:07:10PM +0200, Michael Van Canneyt wrote:
> >On Tue, Jul 17, 2018 at 11:14:31AM +0200, Michael Van Canneyt wrote:
> If you need to "reduce the scope of variables", your routines are too long to
> begin with.
>
> If of course you write routines of several hundreds of lines (or thousands),
> then you probably would need to have such a feature.
>
> But I would fire any programmer that writes such code anyway, since it
> indicates he cannot think structured.

And I'd fire any programmer that doesn't properly scope their variables,
just as you'd (hopefully) fire a programmer for using global instead of
function level variables.

> But probably this whole answer is again too hyperbole :-)

It's not the hyperbole that really worries me too much, I like a bit of
that myself.  I'm worried about the knee-jerk reactions to good ideas.
Badly written responses like "reduces readability" is extremely
uncharitable without proper motivation and projects the image that
everyone on this list will just shoot down any improvement to their
beloved Pascal.

Anyway, not much to add to the subject without repeating myself.

Henry