[fpc-pascal] Syntax changes suggestions

Sven Barth pascaldragon at googlemail.com
Tue Jul 17 07:16:43 CEST 2018

Am 16.07.2018 um 23:14 schrieb R0b0t1:
> On Mon, Jul 16, 2018 at 3:28 PM, Sven Barth via fpc-pascal
> <fpc-pascal at lists.freepascal.org> wrote:

>>> I can support this one, I am surprised it is not already supported.
>>> Wasn't this mentioned in another recent thread as existing? Does it
>>> exist in at least Delphi mode?
>>
>> This is not supported and the last time it was discussed here on the mailing
>> lists it was shot down (though I can't find the thread currently...).
>> Also why should it exist in Delphi mode when Delphi does not support it?
>> (Yes, there are some features that work in Delphi mode that Delphi doesn't
>> support, but in generic the purpose of mode Delphi is to support Delphi
>> code)
>  From my searching it is in (newer?) Delphi. I can't admit to being a
> huge fan of "finally" (I don't typically use it myself) but I am
> interested in why it is not supported.

At least Delphi Tokyo (10.2) does not support it.

If I remember the discussion correctly it came to light that some users
would need "try … finally … except … end" while others would need "try …
except … finally … end" and even some "try … finally … except … finally
… end" or the like. With differences in opinion like this the idea was
dropped, cause this flexibility exists already, namely by using separate
blocks.

Regards,
Sven