[fpc-pascal] Syntax changes suggestions

Santiago A. svaa at ciberpiula.net
Mon Jul 16 16:27:28 CEST 2018

El 16/07/2018 a las 15:02, Sven Barth via fpc-pascal escribió:
> Santiago A. <svaa at ciberpiula.net <mailto:svaa at ciberpiula.net>> schrieb
> am Mo., 16. Juli 2018, 13:41:
>
>     I have some suggestions of change to freepascal syntax, just to debate
>
>     (All are backward compatible)
>
>     - Declaring variables inside blocks, and loop variables
>
> -> reduces readability -> no interest
I think the opposite.
The nearer the declaration to the code where you use it, the better.

>     - Autofree pointers
>
> Might come, though not in that way (take your example: what if you
> pass the instance to some other code that stores it beyond the life
> time of the function)
In such cases, you don't declare it "auto". Just as you don't free a
pointer in the function you declare it if you pass the instance to
another code that stores it beyond the life time of the function

>     - Try except finally blocks
>
> This had been proposed some time ago and was declined after quite some
> discussion (either here or on fpc-devel).
>
>     - Private declarations in implementation
>
> Again this reduces readability and thus no interest.

Once again, I think the opposite.
It's not very readable a class where you have to skim through 100 lines
of private declaration that you don't care, because you can do nothing
with them.

> Regards,
> Sven

Saludos