[fpc-pascal] Loss of precision when using math.Max()

Santiago A. svaa at ciberpiula.net
Tue Jul 3 18:39:07 CEST 2018

El 03/07/2018 a las 14:33, Wolf escribió:

> PS.: while composing this mail, Santiago wrote:  Pascal needs to break
> backward compatibility to advance, that is, in fact, a new language.
> But if pascal is struggling to survive, let alone a new language if
> you are not mozilla, google...
>
> In which direction should Free Pascal move - lower type (range,
> overflow, memory) checking demands, with the implied additional
> sources for bugs, but also better speed and shorter code, a la C, or
> should Free Pascal rather take the lead and move towards safer, and
> more trustworthy, code, a la Rust?

Well, I am more for safer. But the problem is not that Pascal is not
safer enough (some parts could be improved, but it has a good mark) it
is about new features that need convoluted workarounds or libraries and
should be part of the language syntax.
For instance: Some functional programing, closures, anonymous functions,
concurrency, a clear use of character sets, different types of pointers.

And there are things that I would change in the current syntax, but I
suppose it is a matter of  taste.

This is a topic for fpc-other ;-)

--
Saludos