[fpc-pascal] TFPGObjectList error

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Mon Jul 2 13:39:30 CEST 2018

On Mon, 2 Jul 2018, Martok wrote:

> Am 02.07.2018 um 11:46 schrieb Michael Van Canneyt:
>> The CHM manual generation is as problematic as the indexing itself.
>> And the CHM search index is generated by Windows on first use, as far as I know.
> Hm, okay. Not really helping then, sorry.
>> They never were designed to be interlinked:
>> The programmer's guide contains advanced topics, which the beginning
>> programmer does not need at all.
> There are a few exceptions (i.e. "prog:8.2.1 Integer types" links to the ref),
> but yes, I'm aware this was intentional.
> Just wanted to suggest that sometimes it would be nice for newcomers to be
> reminded that these advanced sections exist in the first place. Especially when
> things are different from TP and Delphi (or even the C equivalents of an
> expression), one might not find this information at first, even if it's there:
> take Willibald's recent question about managed Result vars, the recurring
> question of what precludes inlining, or my confusion about the subtly different
> range type system. The information is there, but next to impossible to find
> unless one already knows where it is.

Yes. I realize this.

I'm reviving my 'search docs' engine attempt. The idea is to create a single
index for all doc pages, which would be updated when the documentation is
regenerated.

It takes currently about 1000 secs to process the FCL docs (~ 5000 files).
That seems acceptable to me.

I'll try to put a rudimentary search page online this week.

Michael.