[fpc-pascal] Very slow startup of Frepascal programs on just one system

James james at productionautomation.net
Wed Aug 22 11:06:30 CEST 2018

I am experiencing very slow startup of all of my freepascal programs for
windows on just one computer.  Normally they all start pretty much
instantly, but I just got a brand new Dell XPS desktop computer and they are
all starting up VERY slowly,  even simple console programs.. Even 'Hello
World'  take over 50 full seconds to start, even when running from a RAM
Drive.   Does anyone have any idea what could be going on to cause such a
slowdown?    They all run faster than this on an ancient XP computer, I
don't understand what's taking so long on this new PC.     All my programs
are compiled with FPC 3.0.4rc1 and normally start instantly even on my
slowest windows tablet pc. except for this new computer, and everything else
on this computer starts very fast,  it's only all of my freepascal programs
that start very very slow.  Once my programs finally.. eventually.. Get
around to starting, they execute just fine,  no further delay in processing,
disk access, or graphics.   I thought it might be smart screen or a virus
scanner causing the delay, so I turned those off,  still have a huge delay.
No matter what I do, every freepascal program I have ALWAYS takes at least
50 seconds to start on this system.

The system is this one:
https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/desktop-and-all-in-one-pcs/xps-tower-sp
ecial-edition/spd/xps-8930-se-desktop/cto8930w10pcfl4h?ref=569_prodTitle
but it has been upgraded to 64GB of RAM, and a solid state hard drive.   The
processor is Intel Core i7-8700K @3.7GHz and is running windows 10 Pro
64bit.  This should be the fastest computer I have, yet it's the only one
with this issue.

Hello world program is this:

Begin

Writeln('Hello World');

Readln;

End.

Any ideas on what may be going on?   This is pretty much un-usable with
these huge delays every time I need to start one of my freepascal programs.