[fpc-pascal] Will moving from due core CPU to 6 Core CPU of the same clock speed improve the speed of FPC compiling?

geneb geneb at deltasoft.com
Mon Aug 6 21:35:29 CEST 2018

On Mon, 6 Aug 2018, Jim Lee wrote:

> On 08/06/2018 09:27 AM, geneb wrote:
>>
>> One of the most "bang for your buck" methods of improving compling
>> speed would be to go to an SSD from a regular hard disk.  A 240GB SSD
>> can be had for less than $60 USD these days.
>>

>> g.
>
> I've gone through 5 SSDs in as many years - they don't last.  And, these
> were not cheap ones - they cost me ~$600 USD each for 1TB. I've gone
> back to rotating magnetic media as I've only lost 2 of those in 35 years...

I have no idea what you're doing to those poor drives then. :)  My main
machine has been booting from a 500GB SSD without issue for the last ~4
years.  I've got other drives of smaller sizes in service for longer, also
without issue.  I use either Windows 7 or Windows 10 Ent. on those.

I've got 1TB Samsung T3 (external USB3, 1TB) that I've been running for
the last ~2+ years without fail and it hosts VMWare Workstation images
that I use on a daily basis for software development.

g.

--
Proud owner of F-15C 80-0007